Basic Requirement of New Zealand Skilled Immigration
New Zealand Skilled Migrant Residence have three major categories: the 6-point Skilled Migrant Category (SMC), the Straight to Residence Category (STR) and the Work to Residence Category (WTR).
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Age should not exceed 55 years.
- Good health and character.
- Proficiency in English (equivalent to an IELTS score of 6.5).
- Secure a skilled job from an Accredited Employer.
If you have met the above basic requirement, you might be eligible to apply for residence from one of the following pathway
Under current immigration policy, in addition to meeting basic requirements such as English, health, and character, the first step is to find a skilled job that meets the immigration requirements. The employer must be an accredited employer; and your salary must meet the required remuneration level.
Some popular ways to meet the 6 points skilled migrant category requirements may include:
- Bachelor’s degree + three years of local skilled work experience
- Master’s degree + one year of local skilled work experience
- Doctoral degree
- A skilled job with twice the NZ median wage + two years of local skilled work experience
Among all these combinations, a master’s degree plus one year of local work experience is expected to be the most popular option due to its speed, convenience, and flexibility. New Zealand universities offer a variety of one to two-year master’s programs, some of which do not require a related undergraduate background, providing not only a pathway to immigration but also an opportunity for a career change
and a fresh start.
We can guide you to plan your study to migrant pathway.
If you are interested in skilled migration, please click on this link to fill out a free assessment form.