How to obtain VISA


  • Contact licensed immigration adviser
  • Check whether you are qualified for coming to NZ
  • Plan your study
  • Prepare relevant document and apply school
  • Prepare visa documents after receiving offer of place
  • Submit your application to immigration New Zealand
  • Once the visa is approved in principle, make tuition fee payment and transfer sufficient living fund to New Zealand
  • Prepare your trip after receiving your passport

HINT: it is vital to get proper advice from experienced immigration adviser


Our fees
When you apply for a student visa, you must pay a fee. Use our Office and fees finder to find out what you need to pay.

Offer of a place
If you are enrolling in a programme of study for the first time, you need to have an offer of place from a New Zealand education provider. An offer must include:
the education provider’s name and contact details
the name of the programme of study and its duration
proof that the programme of study and the education provider meet New Zealand’s requirements for international students
the amount of the tuition fee for the complete programme of study , or if the programme of study is longer than one year, the annual tuition fee
whether you have to pay tuition fees
whether the fees are domestic or international fees
whether the study is full-time or part-time
confirmation that all requirements under the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students are met, including accommodation for under 18 year olds and the prerequisites for your programme study.

Approved education providers
Your programme of study must be approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and be offered by an education provider that has been approved by NZQA or the Ministry of Education.
Primary and secondary schools
Two types of primary and secondary schools in New Zealand can offer places to international students.
State or integrated primary and secondary schools are funded by the New Zealand government. Schools accredited by New Zealand’s Ministry of Education can offer places to full fee-paying international students after all New Zealand domestic and NZAP scholarship students are placed.
Private primary and secondary schools are schools funded mainly through student fees. Provided they are accredited by the Ministry of Education, these schools can offer places equally to international students and New Zealand students.
Tertiary education providers
Tertiary education providers can offer a programme of study to international students if they meet certain conditions.
Private training establishments (PTEs) can only offer approved programmes of study that are longer than three months and registered with the NZQA. The PTE must be accredited by the NZQA to offer the programme of study.
Institutions including universities, polytechnics, colleges of education and wananga can only offer approved programmes of study that are longer than three months and registered with the NZQA. The institution must be accredited to offer the programme of study. The enrolment of an international student must not prevent a New Zealand student or an NZAP student from gaining a place at the same institution.

Confirmation of enrolment
If you are returning to the same New Zealand education provider to continue a programme of study, such as the second year of a three year Bachelor degree, you may provide a confirmation of enrolment from the education provider instead of an offer of a place. This must include:
the name of the programme of study
the annual fee for the programme of study
whether you are studying full-time or part-time.
Accompanying parents and guardians
You may have to be accompanied by a guardian (your parent or legal guardian), who will come to New Zealand with you. You need a guardian if you are enrolled in years 1 to 8 of a school, or a student aged 13 or under and enrolled in a private training establishment.

Your health and character
You have to meet our health and character requirements and prove to us that the intention of your stay in New Zealand is genuine.
Meeting our health requirements

Foreign fee paying students
You don’t need to provide a medical certificate unless the Student Visa Application Form (INZ 1012) or Student Visa Guide (INZ 1013) indicates that you should. You may need to provide a Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) if you will be in New Zealand for more than six months to show you have been screened for tuberculosis (TB).

You are required to hold appropriate and current medical and travel insurance as a condition of your visa regardless of the length of your stay in New Zealand.

Domestic students
If you are studying in New Zealand for between six months and one year you may need to provide a completed Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) to show you have been screened for TB.

If you are studying in New Zealand for more than one year you must provide a Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) and a Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096).

Immigration ONLINE health requirements
If you are applying for a student visa through Immigration ONLINE you may be required to upload a medical or chest X-ray certificate. If your medical or chest X-ray certificate was completed at an eMedical clinic your examination results will be directly submitted to INZ and you should instead upload a copy of the eMedical information sheet you receive from the clinic. Applicants in New Zealand may also have their examination undertaken at an NZimed clinic currently. If your examination is completed at an NZimed clinic, your examination results will be directly submitted to INZ and you should upload a copy of the receipt you receive from the clinic instead.
Meeting our character requirements
If you are studying in New Zealand for more than two years you must provide a police certificate from your country of citizenship and from any country in which you have lived for five or more years since reaching 17 years of age. The certificates must be less than six months old.

Some people who have committed serious crimes will not be allowed into New Zealand at all. See sections 15 and 16 of the Immigration Act 2009.

Some students who are aged between 17 and 20 years who have previously been studying in New Zealand do not need to provide a police certificate. Immigration New Zealand will, however, obtain a New Zealand police certificate directly if the applicant is applying for a student visa for the first time after turning 17 years of age. See who is required to provide a police certificate for more information.

Note: New Zealand police certificates are directly obtained from the New Zealand Police by Immigration New Zealand. Please consider that this could potentially affect the processing time of your application. We recommend that you lodge your application as early as possible to allow for possible delays.

Evidence of funds to support yourself
You must show that you will be financially supported throughout your stay in New Zealand. See our Financial Requirements for more information

Proof that you plan to leave
You must provide evidence of how you will leave New Zealand when you have finished your programme of study. For example, we may want to see travel tickets out of New Zealand to a country you are allowed to enter, or evidence of enough money held in New Zealand for the purchase of your travel tickets out of New Zealand. This money should be additional to the funds you need for your living expenses.

You must have a passport that is valid for at least three months past the end of your intended stay.

For more information, please feel free to contact us!

What can IEF do for you?

IEF have 19 years experiences in education and rich school resource. We have successfully helped thousands students to come to New Zealand. Our experts will give our clients best study plan based on their personal background and future goal.

    Our service includes:

  • School enrolment
  • Student visa plan, preparation and lodgment
  • Short term study arrangement
  • School visit
  • Parent visit arrangement
  • Student insurance and claims
  • International student consultation
    New arrival arrangement:

  • Accommodation and airport pick up
  • Study guide
  • Assistance in both personal life and study, include psychological consultation, tutoring etc.
  • Under age student caregiver service
  • Career advice