Comparison of Popular Immigration Countries

  • The Economist Intelligence Unit’s quality-of-life index 2013
  • The Social Progress Index (SPI) 2014
  • Mercer Quality of Living Survey 2014
  • Global Talent Competitiveness Index 2014
  • OECD Education Ranking 2013
  USA Canada New Zealand Australia
Quality-of-life Index 17 9 7 2
The Social Progress Index (SPI)
(Include health, sanitation, shelter, personal safety, access to information, sustainability, tolerance and inclusion and access to education)
16 7 1 10
Most Livable City 27
Political stability 30 13 3 17
Regulatory landscape 24 9 5 18
Tolerance to minorities 12 1 2 6
Tolerance to immigrants 13 1 1 4
Ease of doing business 3 16 2 9
Labour market flexibility 8 9 5 17
Quality of Education 5 3 1 2

Common Questions

Q1 What to do if i have decline history?

You should frankly declare the decline history with detailed description of the incident at the application. INZ will still consider approving the application with decline history. IEF experienced and licensed immigration advisers will assist you in explaining the reason of the decline history so as to comply with the immigration policy with our experience and expertise.

Q2 What to do if immigration challenges my application?

As your authorized immigration adviser, we will handle all correspondence with INZ on behalf of client and we will keep clients updated of the visa application status. When receiving the enquiries from INZ, we will inform the client immediately and after discussing with client, we will prepare all the supplementary documents and explanation to INZ so as to comply with the immigration policy with our experience and expertise.

Q3 What to do if i have criminal history?

An applicant should meet the character requirement without criminal history. But an application will not be automatically declined on the basis that the applicant does not meet the character requirement. INZ may consider granting a character waiver. Immigration officers may take into account the surrounding circumstances of the application to decide whether a character waiver should be granted or not. The circumstances would include but not be limited to:

  • the seriousness of the offence, and
  • whether there is more than one offence from one or more events, and
  • how long ago the relevant event occurred.

IEF experienced and licensed immigration advisers will assist you in explaining the reason of the criminal history so as to obtain a character waiver with our experience and expertise.

Q4 My visa is about to expire but my migrant application is still in processing

Lodging a residence application does not mean you can let your temporary class visa expire. You must be on a valid visa at all times while in NZ. If your temporary visa expires while your residence is in process, you are liable for deportation. If your temporary entry class visa expires while in NZ, the processing of your residence application must be suspended under section 169 (3) of the Immigration Act 2009.

    Before your current visa expires, you can:
  • obtain a further temporary class visa to remain in NZ longer, or
  • depart NZ and wait for your resident visa decision offshore (please advise your immigration officer of your contact details in this case).

To obtain a further visa, you must meet the current policy requirements of the visa type you wish to apply for. Please contact IEF for details.

Q5 I have Australia permanent visa, how to get NZ PR?

Australian citizens and permanent residents may qualify for a Permanent Resident Visa (PRV) provided they have held a Resident Visa continuously for more than 24 months, and have met the PRV criteria. For PRV criteria, please contact IEF for details.

However, Resident Visas held by Australians expire upon exit from New Zealand, so travelling in and out of New Zealand can affect the requirement that the Resident Visa must be held for two years continuously.

If an Australian citizen or permanent resident is in New Zealand on a Resident visa and wishes to apply for a permanent resident visa in the future, they should make an application for a Variation of Travel Conditions (VOTC) if they wish to travel in the meantime.

Q6 I didn’t have 140 points for skill migrant, what can i do to apply migrant?

    The latest EOI selection criteria are:
  • All EOIs with a points total of 140 or more.
  • All those with a job or job offer that had a points total of 100 or more but less than 140 points.

If you do not have 140 points, as long as you have a job offer, you are still eligible for SMC application. If you are a student who has completed a qualification or qualifications in New Zealand that meets the study to work qualification requirements, but you do not have a job offer, you may be eligible for a Post-study work visa – open for a maximum of 12 months. Then, when you have found a job, you can apply for a further visa for up to two or three years under the Study to Work category.

Therefore, study is the pathway to get residence under skilled migrant category.